Teenagers experience depression similar to adults, however they could experience their feelings more intensely. Feeling down a few relationship issue or an upcoming examination is regular. Teen depression is a serious issue, but can be helped if you know the symptoms.
Depression is pretty common in teens. Teens under stress, who experience loss, or who have attentional, learning, conduct or anxiety disorders are at a higher risk for depression. Teenage girls are particularly at high risk.
Depressed teens typically have issues at home and/or school. In many instances, the parents are depressed, as depression tends to run in families.
It is necessary to keep in mind that the behavior of depressed teenagers may differ from the behavior of depressed adults. Most teens having additional psychiatric disorders, such as behavior disorders or substance abuse problems.
The following are among the most typical signs of teen depression.
- Frequent sadness, tearfulness, crying
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Talk of or efforts to run away from home
- Poor focus
- Decreased interest in activities; or inability to enjoy previously favorite activities
- Persistent boredom; low energy
- Social isolation, poor communication
- Low self esteem and guilt
- Extreme sensitivity to rejection or failure
- Increased irritability, anger, or hostility
- Difficulty with relationships
- Frequent complaints of physical illnesses, such as headaches and stomachaches
- Frequent absences from school or poor performance in school
- A major change in eating and/or sleeping patterns
- Thoughts or expressions of suicide or self-destructive behavior
We work with adolescents, teenagers, and young adults on concerns that range from temporary upsets to problems of a deeper and more complex nature. We help our clients work on and resolve specific emotional and social problems in ways that help them relate better inter-personally and achieve more satisfying lives.
- Cocaine Addiction and Abuse - August 19, 2016
- Cocaine Addiction and Abuse - August 18, 2016
- Teen College Admissions - August 13, 2016
- Career Guidance - August 13, 2016
- Take Action - July 10, 2016
- Teen Suicide Prevention - September 21, 2015
- Teen Social Skills - September 21, 2015
- Teen Grief Counseling - September 21, 2015
- Teen Depression - September 21, 2015
- Teen Anxiety - September 21, 2015